Frequently Asked Questions

The District Attorney’s Office represents the People of the State of Colorado. The office prosecutes criminal felony, misdemeanor and traffic cases for the people of Adams and Broomfield counties and seeks justice for crime victims. The office also works to create a safer community through education about crime prevention and partnerships with law enforcement and the community.

1000 Judicial Center Drive, Brighton, CO 80601

The main phone number is (303) 659-7720.
The Fax number is (303)835-5575. Please include a cover sheet that lists the person to whom your fax is directed.
The main phone number for the Broomfield DA office is (720) 887-2199; Fax (720) 887-2189.

Adams County Judicial Center: (303) 659-1161
Broomfield District Court: (303) 887-2100
Probation: (303) 835-5720; Fax (303) 835-5756
Diversion: (303) 453-8535; Fax (303) 453-8558

There are several RTD routes that provide transportation to the Adams and Broomfield County Justice Centers.Click Here for RTD Schedule

Call the court at (303) 659-1161.

If you have not yet received correspondence or a call from the District Attorney’s Office with this information, you may call the office’s main reception number at (303)659-7720 and the receptionist can look up your case and give you the name of the deputy assigned to your case.

Yes, but if you have retained a defense attorney, you should speak to your attorney. You should not speak to the prosecutor without your attorney being present.

Post bond. You will be given a court date after posting bond.

They will be given to you when you appear in court on your arraignment date.

If you are appearing on a summons, you may talk to the District Attorney in court on the day of your appearance and decide whether to accept their offer. If not, the case will be set over for a hearing before the judge.On a traffic infraction, you have the option of paying the fine within 20 days. If you choose not to, or miss the 20-day deadline, you must go to court on the day listed on the ticket. You may accept a plea offered on that day or set it for final hearing.

No, charges are filed by the District Attorney on behalf of victims and can only be dropped by the District Attorney’s Office. You may call the prosecutor or your victim advocate to discuss the issue.

Generally, court dates cannot be changed. When exceptional circumstances occur, including, but not limited to: military service, death in the family, or an illness requiring hospitalization, court dates may be changed. You or your attorney must call the prosecutor to discuss changing a court date and in any case, proper documentation must be presented upon returning to court.

Only a judge can remove a restraining order. Contact the District Attorney’s Office first (303) 659-7720 so the file can be sent to the judge. This must be done at least 24 hours before you intend to go to court. Go to Window 5 on the first floor of the courthouse at 8 a.m. and ask to be added to the court’s docket.

Go to Window 5 on the first floor of the courthouse at 8 a.m. and ask to be added to the court’s docket. Remember to contact the District Attorney’s Office at least 24 hours before you want to go to court, so the file can be sent to the court.

Your paperwork will contain that information. A screen on the first floor of the courthouse also posts the names and courtroom assignments for cases to be heard that day.

You can post bond at the courthouse or any police department.

Post bond and get a new court date from the court.

Child care is available through a grant-funded child care program. A voucher must be obtained from a child care provider on a court-approved list. This voucher must be signed by a judicial assistant after the court hearing is concluded. For more information, click this link: (Link to child care provider info.)

Questions about Discovery
Discovery is the term used to describe the information, facts, documents and other materials the District Attorney’s Office relies upon to prosecute a case.You need to make an appointment to inspect and photocopy discovery by calling (303) 835-5484.Discovery may be released to the defendant, the defendant’s attorney or agent or, in the case of a juvenile defendant, to the juvenile’s parent or guardian.
For more information on the process of discovery for felony and misdemeanor records, call (303) 835-5484 or visit the Discovery page.

These forms are available online at the court website (add link). You may also visit the Access to Justice Center on the first floor of the courthouse.

Contact the police department.

Contact the District Attorney’s Office to speak with the prosecutor. The return of property varies from case to case.

Call your local police department or sheriff’s office and give them all of the information you have about a fugitive.

First, always call your local law enforcement. You also may call the Colorado Bureau of Investigation Identity Theft Fraud hotline at 1 (855) 443-3489.

Contact the Bad Check Restitution Program for the District Attorney’s Office at You may also call (800)574-6719.

Questions about Diversion
Diversion is an alternative to the court system that is based on counseling and classes to help offenders turn their lives around and avoid future involvement with the criminal justice system.

Usually, the District Attorney’s Office will identify and recommend the case as a candidate for Diversion. The Diversion office will review the case and send an invitation to the offender to apply for the program. If the offender accepts the invitation, further screening and an intake interview is done before the person is formally accepted into the program.

Depending on your needs, you may be participating in individual or family counseling, group therapy, substance abuse monitoring and treatment, victim-offender mediation and community service projects.

Most counties have Diversion programs for juveniles so these cases can usually be transferred to another county. Since only two other jurisdictions in the state have Diversion programs for adults and they are very different, adult cases usually cannot be transferred.

In most cases this is not possible.

The time varies depending on the needs of the client. Usually juvenile Diversion is completed in six to nine months. Adult Diversion takes about a year.

Diversion is a voluntary program. You don’t have to accept it.

Questions about Restitution
Restitution is an order of the court, on a criminal case, by which offenders are held accountable for the financial losses they caused to the victim of their crime as determined by Colorado Revised Statute § 18-1.3-603 et seq.Restitution is not immediate payment and is not guaranteed.

Any person who has suffered a financial loss due to a criminal act committed by another person. In order to request restitution a criminal case must be filed with the District Attorney’s office.

• Medical/Dental expenses
• Cost to replace or repair damaged property
• Out of pocket expenses
• Work loss
• Insurance deductible

• Pain and suffering
• Loss of consortium
• Loss of future earnings
• Punitive damages
• Expenses covered by insurance

• You must complete a Victim Impact Statement or a Restitution Statement and return it to the District Attorney’s office.
• You must provide documentation of your losses (estimates, receipts, bills etc.)
• Our restitution department forwards these documents to the Deputy District Attorney.
• When the perpetrator/defendant pleads guilty or is found to be guilty, the Deputy District Attorney can request that the Judge order restitution on your behalf.
• The defendant is not required to repay the financial damages of their crime unless a Judge orders them to do so.
• The court collects restitution from the defendant and will forward payment to you.
• The defendant might be allowed to make payments. This could extend the time it takes to receive payment in fullAny documents or statements that you provide for the purposes of restitution can be obtained by the perpetrator/defendant.

One of these documents may have been mailed to you. If you have not received either of them please contact the restitution department at (303)659-7720.

If you need help completing a Victim Impact Statement please speak to a victim advocate at (303) 659-7735.
If you need help completing a Restitution Statement call (303)659-7720 and ask for the restitution department.

For misdemeanor and traffic cases at the Adams County Justice Center please call, (303) 654-3266.
For felony cases at the Adams County Justice Center please call, (303 )835-5720.
For cases assigned to the Broomfield County Justice Center please call, (720) 877-2157.

What you need to know when coming to court
Once the case has been filed with our office you will be assigned to a DA advocate. The DA advocate’s job is to help you understand what is going on in this case as well as to refer you to resources within the community that will be able to serve you during this time. The DA advocate will contact you both by telephone and letter. They can also use email if that is your preferred communication method. Your DA advocate will mail you information about upcoming court dates as they are scheduled by the Court. Your DA advocate will also make reasonable attempts to contact you by phone, email or postal service to notify you of various critical stage events during this process.

  • The filing of charges against a person accused of a crime
  • Decision not to file charges against a person accused of a crime
  • The preliminary hearing
  • Any bond reduction or modification hearing where the request is made for a bond lower than the scheduled or customary amount for the specific charges
  • The arraignment of a person accused of a crime
  • Any hearing on motions concerning evidence matters or pre-or post-plea relief
  • Any subpoena for a victim’s medical, mental health, education, or victim’s compensation records
  • Any disposition of the complaint or charges against the person accused
  • The trial
  • Any sentencing hearing
  • Any appellate review or appellate decision
  • Any subsequent modification of the sentence
  • Any probation revocation hearing
  • Any attack on a judgment or conviction
  • The filing of any complaint, summons, or warrant by the probation department for failure to report to probation or because the location of a person convicted of a crime is unknown
  • Any petition by a sex offender to terminate sex offender registration

The defense has a right to contact you in order to pursue their investigation. You have the right to speak with the defense, but are not obligated to. If you have questions or concerns, please contact your DA advocate.

You may either be subpoenaed by the prosecution or the defense. If you are subpoenaed by the defense, please let your DA advocate know. If you are subpoenaed by the prosecution, your DA advocate, along with our witness coordinator, will keep in contact with you to notify you of when you may need to testify in court and the amount of time your testimony may take. You will then come to our Private Victim Witness Waiting Room where you may watch TV, talk on the phone, read books, play cards or simply hang out while waiting for your time to testify.

The Deputy District Attorney assigned to the case will make every effort to prepare you for testimony, should it be required. Many cases are resolved through the use of a plea agreement or “plea bargain” and will not require you to testify in court. However, should a case be set for a jury trial or a trial to the court, you may be required to testify.
If you are subpoenaed to testify in court, you will walk up to the witness stand, sit down and be sworn in by the judge. The witness stand is located in an area near where the judge sits, and close to where the jury sits when there is a trial. The defendant and his/her attorney(s) sit at a table nearby. The Deputy District Attorney also sits at a table nearby. While you are sitting in the witness stand, you do not need to look at the defendant but he/she will be present throughout your testimony. The defendant is not allowed to make any sort of contact with witnesses, verbally or through facial expressions, and will not be permitted to intimidate you in any way. If you feel as though you are being intimidated by the defendant, please tell your advocate or the Deputy District Attorney.
If you have to testify, here are a few things to remember:

  • Be Truthful

As a witness, your job is to just tell the facts as you know them, as simply and clearly as you can. If you don’t know the answer to a question, don’t guess. If you don’t understand a question, you can ask for the question to be repeated or for it to be explained.

  • Answer Only the Question Asked

The Deputy District Attorney will guide you through a sequence of questions, many of which can simply be answered “yes” or “no.” Do not try to say everything at once or and don’t volunteer information.

  • Remain Calm and Respectful

Slow down, breathe and take a minute to think before you answer a question. Wait until a question is finished before answering. Being respectful to the attorneys when they are asking you questions lets the jury and judge focus on your answers and not your attitude. Losing your temper or trying to guess what the attorneys are going to do with your answers may make it seem like you are not being truthful.

In many cases, a plea agreement can be reached. This means a child victim or witness will not have to testify in a court for a trial. However, in some cases testimony will be required for a child witness. If the child is very young or impaired, there may be some provision to allow a video of his/her interview to be used. Otherwise, the child witness will testify on the stand in court. If this should be required, the Deputy District Attorney, the advocate and the child’s parent or guardian will work closely with the child witness to prepare them to testify. Please contact the advocate assigned to your case with any questions or concerns you may have about your child’s involvement in the criminal justice process.

The idea of testifying in court can cause anxiety. The staff at the District Attorney’s Office will work with you to prepare you for what you might expect and help you understand the process. Please remember that once you’ve been served with a subpoena, you are legally obligated to appear and testify truthfully court, even if you don’t want to. The judge can issue a warrant for your arrest if you fail to appear for court after you have received a subpoena.

There are a number of possible outcomes or dispositions in a criminal case. A case may proceed to a guilty plea or a trial and then to a sentencing hearing. The defendant can only be sentenced after he/she has pled guilty or is found guilty at a trial (conviction). There are a variety of sentencing possibilities and ranges that are determined by law. The judge has to consider what crime(s) the defendant has pled guilty to or was found guilty of by the jury as well as the defendant’s criminal history. Within the sentencing range determined by law, the judge will decide upon the defendant’s sentence. Sentencing possibilities can include fines, time to be served at the county detention facility, a term of probation, community corrections or prison or some combination of all these possibilities.

Many convictions are the result of a plea agreement. A plea agreement is the result of negotiations between the Deputy District Attorney and the defendant that will achieve justice and may eliminate the need for witnesses to testify. You have the right to be consulted with by the Deputy District Attorney prior to the offer of a plea agreement to the defendant. Once the defendant agrees to the terms of the plea offered, the plea agreement is presented to the judge for approval.

The District Attorney’s Office is legally responsible for treating cases with similar facts in a fair and equal way. Sometimes that results in a plea agreement that you do not agree with. The Deputy District Attorney can meet with you, at your request, in order to answer any questions you may have about the plea agreement and explain how he/she arrived at the offer. Please consult the advocate assigned to your case if you’d like to schedule a meeting with a Deputy District Attorney.

It is possible the defendant and the defense attorney may choose to enter a guilty plea or the case may be continued at any point prior to the start of a scheduled court hearing. This could occur even minutes before your appearance is required. The District Attorney’s Office provides two ways to check on the status of your subpoena. You may call (303) 659-7735 after 5:00 P.M. and before 8:00 A.M. weekdays to hear a listing of court hearings scheduled for the next day. You may also contact the Advocate assigned to the case to get the most updated information about a scheduled court hearing. Calling may save you a trip to the Justice Center.

If you have questions concerning your subpoena, please contact the advocate assigned to the case at (303)659-7735 in Adams County or at (720)887-2199 in Broomfield County during office hours (8am to 5 pm, Mon-Fri). You may also contact the Deputy District Attorney assigned to the case at these numbers.

No, if you have been subpoenaed by the prosecution, your travel will be coordinated with a member of the District Attorney Office staff to make and purchase arrangements such as lodging, airfare, shuttle or similar assistance. You will be contacted directly by a member of the District Attorney’s Office making your travel arrangements, by the Deputy District Attorney and by the assigned advocate closer to the scheduled court hearing date. This provides a much better chance the travel will actually be needed since court hearing dates can change. If you have questions, please contact the advocate assigned to your case at (303 )659-7735 in Adams County and at (720) 887-2199 in Broomfield County.

If you still have questions about any of the above information or if your question was not addressed, please call the main reception number for the 17th Judicial District Attorney’s Office at (303) 659-7720 or email the District Attorney’s Office at

  (c) 2021  |  Privacy Policy