The 17th Judicial District Attorney’s Office is proud to offer a Citizens Academy to the public each year. Establishing a Citizens Academy was one of the priorities of District Attorney Dave Young when he took office in January 2013. We held our first Citizens Academy in the fall of 2013. It was such a success that we have had more applicants than we could accept for the past two years.
Here are some of the comments from last year’s students:
- “Very informative and I learned a lot. It really taught me what was fact or fiction about watching crime shows.”
- “Wow! The class was excellent. I learned so much! The presenters are wonderful at communicating what they do. Thanks goes out to these people and what they do. What a great class.”
- “This class could not have been better. Strong, excellent and detailed presentations! Thank you!”
- “This academy was fantastic. Thank you all for all that you do!”
- “I was totally impressed by how many intelligent, dedicated people we have working for the citizens of Colorado against the worst in our society.”
- Great academy! I will suggest this academy to my friends. Thank you for giving us this opportunity!”
The 2015 academy will begin Tuesday, September 29 and will be held for eight weeks through November 17 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the 17th Judicial District Attorney’s Office at 1000 Judicial Center Drive in Brighton.
The free eight-week program provides an understanding of the work done by prosecutors and law enforcement in our district and gives an inside look at the criminal justice system.
Members of the District Attorney’s Office staff will help you learn how cases are charged, investigated and prosecuted. You will come away with an understanding of county, district and juvenile courts, crime scene investigation, homicide cases, the coroner’s office and the difference between how a real district attorney’s office works compared with what is seen on television. The final session will feature a mock trial with academy members as jurors.
Applications are required and are due by September 4, 2015. Click here to apply: